Sunday, March 28, 2010

MULTILINGUAL

This morning my daughter, who will be refered to as E, told me a story about a woman at work, who will be refered to as W. E told me that the dish washer from the restaurant next door came over and said to W....W, since you speak 4 languages, I need to know some swear words in German. My husband loves the way women sound when they speak German and I want to know some swear words for tonight. He won't know what I'm saying so I will just have a little fun saying swear words to him. E, who is fluent in German, perked up her ears because W has never been anywhere but our little town, hasn't gone to college to study languages, and listens to the band SALIVA all the time. As a matter of fact, her cell ringtone is a SALIVA song. Neither W or the dishwasher know that E is fluent in German. E just stood there and was anxious to see how this conversation was going to play out. W said.....Well, let me think......actually......I know how to count to 3 in 4 languages.....I don't know any swear words. E was really getting a kick out of this. The dishwasher was so disappointed, E could tell. E told the dishwasher how to say.....how are you.....in German. The dishwasher really got excited. She said....do you know any other words in German? E said.....well, yes I do. Then E smiled at me and that was all she said. Being the curious person that I am....I said to E.......did you teach her any additonal words in German? E smiled at me and said....yes. I said......did you teach her any swear words? E smiled and said.....Yep. It was HILARIOUS.

No comments: