Saturday, May 22, 2010

TROUBLE AT THE CEMETERY

I just got the cutest call. The cemetery where my parents are buried is in the middle of nowhere about 8 miles west of our farm. I mean in the middle of nowhere....like.....there is nothing around the cemetery but farms. I live on the great plains. It is a beautiful cemetery and is surrounded by huge old trees and is irrigated by the farmer who owns the land around it. There is a group of old ladies who plant beautiful flowers out there like......roses and peonies and tulips and well....the list goes on and on. Last fall I got a call from Peaches (85) who has taken care of the cemetery for years. She is quite the gardener. She called me last fall and said.......Linda, this is Peaches......now that both of your folks are gone would you like me to plant some Peonies at their stone?.....I have to split the Peonies and I would be happy to plant some there. I told Peaches that that would be great and that I really appreciate it. Mom passed away on April 30th last year. My sister came down to visit the grave this year and ran into Darla. Darla runs the thriftstore in town and all of the proceeds go to the handicapped adults organization. Darla has two mentally handicapped children who are grown now and work at the store. Anyway, Darla just called to tell me that one of the Peonies died at my parent's grave stone. Now, I couldn't tell if I was was being castigated for not watering them or whether Darla thought that I should call Peaches or what.......I kind of stammered and she said.......I dug down and the roots are just gone....Ed is irrigating the center section right now and it will be a while before he irrigates your Mom and Dad's section.......SILENCE........I said, well....ummmmm.......I need to get over there more often to water those......Darla said, I saw your sister over there when she was down and I told her I would water them.......Oh.....Darla.....thank you so much!.....she didn't tell me......Oh my.....well........so........how is the store going?........fine she said.......then she said.....I would be happy to call Peaches......I said.....Oh.....well.....that would be fine Darla.....Thank you so much for deeping any eye on the Peonies.......gosh......Oh Darla......I have somemore yarn for your ladies.......she said.......great!......Myrtle is making hats for the babies at the hospital.........Great I said......ok then then......I will get over there to the cemetery soon and check things out......Darla said.....I will call Adeline and see what she thinks......I thought OH GOD....Adeline will have a fit. Bad me!!

1 comment:

Rechelle said...

Thank goodness for the small town peony possie! What would we do without them?